Social Ministry Research Network Centre (SOMIRENEC) was established in 1999 as a trust. Over time, SOMIRENEC has evolved to its current legal status of a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). SOMIRENEC is affiliated to the Institute of Social Ministry in Mission Tangaza University College.
SOMIRENEC is a leading not-for-profit, non-governmental organization implementing diverse community projects for social transformation. SOMIRENEC main programmes focus in Peace Building and Conflict Management; Education; Health; Microfinance; Elderly Support and Consultancy Services.
SOMIRENEC’s mandate is to enable people’s capacities and capabilities with local resources in order to develop peoples’ sustainable livelihoods and livelihoods support systems. The approach used in implementing the mission includes community-centred, participatory and bottom-up community development interventions with particular attention given to pastoralists and small-holder farmers and to those who are socially and economically deprived and/or alienated in the society.
- Human dignity and respect of life
- Integrity, accountability and transparency
- Inclusiveness for the greater common good
- Impartiality in service provision
- Respect of fundamental human rights and freedoms
- Integration of belief and practice
- To collaborate and network with institutions and organisations in promoting social enterprises, offering expertise support to social transformators for community development initiatives;
- Conduct community-centred action research and networking and information dissemination for transformed sustainable communities;
- Mobilize resources for promoting sustainable livelihoods, social justice, human rights and environmental conservation;
- Capacities build communities, institutions, development agencies and stakeholders on social-economic-political issues and trends affecting community empowerment.